If you have been an avid exerciser for some time you may have experienced a plateau on the way to achieving your fitness goals. These plateaus are extremely frustrating and usually become the #1 reason people stop exercising all together. Here are 5 ways to overcome workout plateaus!
1. Do What You Enjoy – Finding activities that you enjoy will help in overcoming plateaus. If you dread running on a treadmill – don’t do it! Exercise can be fun! Find the activities that you enjoy most.
2. Mix It Up – Our bodies have the incredible ability to adapt to the stressors we place on them! If we do the same workouts with the same weights over and over, our bodies will adapt and no longer make changes. Keep your muscles confused by mixing up your workouts often! Also, be sure to mix up your training environment for a change of scenery – try taking your workouts outside time to time.
3. Work With Professionals – Fitness professionals have the knowledge and expertise to program your workouts in a way that keeps you from ever hitting a plateau. If you feel you have hit a plateau, work with a personal trainer to help you get out of your funk. Learning new exercises and new training methods is a sure way to overcome a plateau!
4. Find a Training Partner – There are so many benefits to having a trainer partner! They will keep you accountable, challenge you to push yourself, offer encouragement when you need it most, and they will help you keep your workouts fun!
5. Recover Properly – What we do outside of our workouts is just as important as what we do during our workouts. Make sure your nutrition, hydration, and sleep are all in line with your goals. If your goal is to lose weight but you eat a lot of junk food outside of your workouts you will absolutely find yourself frustrated and in a plateau. Make sure you eat nutrient dense foods, hydrate properly, and get enough sleep every night to aid your workouts!